Designability is seeking a new Chair of Trustees.
Designability is a national charity which designs and provides innovative products which transform the lives of people with disabilities.
We work with adults and children with primarily physical disabilities, creating life changing assistive products and technologies, through every stage from research and engagement, product design, prototyping and manufacturing. Products are available either for sale or through our charitably funded loan schemes.
We want products and technology to be more accessible to everyone. Our team follow the principles of human-centred design which means that everything we develop is done in response to what people tell us they need. Our aim is for people to achieve greater independence and happiness in their lives – goals that benefit all of society.
Who we are looking for
We are looking to appoint a Chair that will lead the Board of Trustees and the CEO in setting and delivering Designability’s strategic objectives. The Chair will champion our vision mission and values, and with the support of the senior leadership team and other Trustees, will ensure the charity’s goals are met.
The Chair will need to have operated at a senior level ideally as an Executive, Non-Exec or Chair, with an empathy and understanding of the challenges faced by disabled people, ideally by having lived experience either personally, or as a family member or carer. This is an unpaid voluntary role.
- To lead the Trustees of Designability and to ensure that the Board fulfils its governance responsibilities.
- To direct the work of the Board to ensure Designability achieves its aims and responds effectively to issues that arise.
- To ensure the Trustees deploy Designability’s resources to further the charity’s objectives whilst complying with the law and meeting commitments to funders.
- To ensure the three-year strategic plan is reviewed annually.
- To chair and facilitate the Board meetings of Designability.
- To set the agenda of Board meetings in conjunction with the CEO.
- To lead on the monitoring and implementation of decisions taken at Board meetings or to allocate this role.
- To carry out an annual appraisal of the work of the CEO.
- To sit on appointment and disciplinary panels as appropriate.
- To represent Designability at functions and meetings as appropriate
In addition to the duties listed above, the new Chair should use any specific skills, knowledge or experience they have to help the Board of Trustees reach sound decisions.
Time Commitment: Circa 3 days per month, this includes 4 Board meetings, an annual Away Day, committee meetings, strategic Board events, induction, reading and preparation for Board meetings, communication with the CEO and attendance at stakeholder events.
How to apply
Moon Executive Search has been appointed as Search Partner to Designability and will manage the recruitment process.
If you are interested in applying for the position, please submit by email your CV or biography together with an expression of interest, explaining your motivations for applying for the role and any relevant information supporting your application. If you would like an informal discussion regarding the role on offer, please contact Sandy Hinks, Head of Charity Practice on 01275 371 200 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The current Chair is available for informal discussions during July and August 2021 which can be arranged through Moon Executive Search.
Completed Applications with CV’s and EOI should quote reference: JO2158 and be sent by email to:email@example.com
Closing Date for applications is Midnight August 31st 2021
Designability is committed to creating and sustaining a fully inclusive and diverse culture. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds and communities.